Today is the day before Ash Wednesday. We are Catholic, and when I was growing up, it was just "the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday", AKA Tuesday, like any other Tuesday. As I aged and encountered more people of other faiths (I went to a Catholic grade school), I learned other faiths called it Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras (French for Fat Tuesday, reportedly).
Last year, at the younger two kids' school, I recall the Headmistress saying something about Pancake Day, and saying we all had to have pancakes for tea (what they call supper for kids, btw), etc. Yesterday, W came home and said we had to have pancakes for tea, as tomorrow would be Shrove Tuesday.
Today, I'm listening to the radio, and they're having a pancake party with relays (where you flip a pancake), pancake tossing race, and more.
What's the deal?? According to Wikipedia, Fat Tuesday is known as Pancake Day in the UK and Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. I've heard of the Polish Paczki, and having them on Fat Tuesday, but this pancake thing is unique. (Of course, it stems from a way to rid the household of milk, eggs, and sugar, to enable the family to eat more simple foods during the Lenten season. OK, that makes sense, but I just think Europeans in general like their pastries.)
I read more about it on the Wikipedia page--Parliament gets into the act by having a contest between the House of Lords and the House of Commons on Pancake Day. You can read more about Pancake Day on Wikipedia here. Who knew it was such a big deal?? Will you have Pancakes for tea today??
That was a very interesting entry to your blog Jaymeson. I just happened to check you sight and there you have the pancake story. Who would have ever thought that GrandmaMary's pancakes had all that history behind them, So now when we eat pancakes we will think of Fat Tuesday. I will check again to see if you have other interesting stories to share. Love You Grandma Mary
ReplyDelete