Wednesday, 15 August 2012
Making the Big Move
So I finally made the big move:
A) To a new blogsite-hoping it will suit me, and I won't need to switch again--there is quite the myriad of options available
B) To being a car owner in the UK-my first car with the steering wheel on the right hand-side of the car!
I am hoping things will go a bit better on this blogsite, or we'll be on the move again!
Just a side note--wanted our web address to be J in the UK, but of course it was already taken, as was any variation of it. Finally settled on "flapjackuk".
They sell these little flapjack bites at the grocery store-I guess kinda like dense cakey bits of sweetness. Kids like them. They are not pancakes--the pancakes they have here are very thin. There is no pancake mix at the grocery store--and we used to have pancakes 1-2 times/week. We've (G has) learned to make them completely from scratch.
Two final thoughts:
I received an email from the music dept @ J's school. The writer was apologizing to me, (due to everyone being “at sixes & sevens” at the moment). Part in parentheses taken verbatim from her email. I had NO idea what that could mean. Did a little asking around and found it means "to be confused".!! Don't talk with idioms in your speech to the American new to the UK!!
I was reading the weekly paper. There was an ad saying, "If you've been ting tanged in an accident".... This has nothing to do with a witch doctor singing walla walla bing bang to you, but means if you've been in an accident that wasn't your fault, call Camps solicitors. (Solicitors are lawyers here.) Apparently David Gruber law offices do not reach the UK, for those of you in the greater Milwaukee area!
I hope you've all made it here all right. And if you're following, please comment so I know you're out there. It's nice to hear from everyone, and know you're all with us, at least by thought.
Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I made it! And, I've finally caught up with all the other posts, too. It's so exciting to read about your adventures. Please keep sharing them. I always wondered about "sixes and sevens" and now I wonder where it comes from. Might have to call "A Way with Words" on public radio to find out. :)
ReplyDeleteAs far as blog sites, I've had blogs on Blogger for a long time and really like it. I'm not big on customizing, so their pre-made templates work great for me. I think you will find this an easy and convenient site for your postings.
Look forward to more details and fun!
Love from the US,
Matt
Lori! Making pancakes from scratch is easy thats all i've ever made actually! Lol hope all is going well with the kids getting ready for school. And good luck with the driving thing i've been in a car with you here so good luck with the otherside of the road! Lol
ReplyDeleteLuv Connie :)
And it took me like 8 tries to post cause I couldnt read the letters for the security thing to prove I wasnt a robot! Lol
ReplyDeleteOK-I changed the settings a bit. Now ANYONE should be able to comment--regardless of whether you have a google account or not, or if you are a registered user or not. Please let me know if there are further problems.
ReplyDeletesounds like you're adjusting well. Very exciting.
ReplyDeleteTraci
We're doing well, so far. Anxious to see how it all unfolds once school begins. N is still hoping he will not have to go to school!! It is hard to believe we've been here 6 weeks already!
DeleteHow is school going?? I hear our neighborhood went back on Tuesday? Say hi to Yvonne and Joey, Mikey, Tommy. Miss them all, and you too!! Good luck this school yr!!
this is test #2
ReplyDeleteYou can comment--things are coming thru:)
DeleteHope you and the fam are all doing ok..
Hello Heller Family
ReplyDeleteMy guess for your adventure for the Holiday was LONDON to scold Prince Harry!!
Hope you had a nice Holiday
You win... It was London. Didn't get a chance to see Harry, though. Maybe next time!
Delete