I am doing the HAPPY Dance! If you've been following my blog with any regularity, you know I've been having a bit of difficulty (and getting irritated and frustrated) getting a school position for dear N. Monday was a Bank Holiday here, so I called the Authority on Tuesday, and there was no news. I've just decided to call today, as I'm getting a little anxious--J has orientation on Tues, and W's school is to start on Wed. I'd like to know if I'm homeschooling next week, or not. Lo and behold, (drumroll, please), they report a letter offering N a spot @ W's school was posted on the 29th. (Today is the 31st.) Hopefully it arrives today, so I can return it with our acceptance! I've broken the news to N, and he is bummed. I think he thought he'd stay home and play all day. So I am happy to report, all of our kids (finally!) got into the schools we wanted them in. Big sigh of relief.
Now, I just need to get supplies for all of them. No one has sent out supply lists, nor are they posted on the web sites. W and N also need their uniforms.
As I am on the school topic, I'll update you on J's adventures. Yesterday, I dropped J off @ school. He and the 99 other kids who are entering Year 7 (our gr 6) were taking part in a 2 day multi-activity course, held at a Adventure Centre, about 1.5 hour away. This "consists of an 18th century Manor House situated in extensive grounds ...." Purpose is to help the kids get to know one another in their tutor group and others in his year, as well as having staff members get to know the kids in an informal setting. All kids in yr 7 are split up into I think 8 tutor groups, and a staff member is in charge of each tutor group. This is the 3rd in line you should go to if you've problems of any type. First is his mentor, who is an upper-classman. Second, is the Head of his House (entire senior school--which is years 7 thru 12--are split into 4 houses. If each yr has 100 kids, that's 600 kids split up into 4 houses/groups. There are house competitions. Think Harry Potter.) Third, there is the head of his tutor group. There is also the head of Year 7s. Quite the hierarchy.
This excursion is an overnight adventure, and we will pick him @ 9:30pm this evening. I am very anxious to hear how it went. Activities offered included rifle shooting (!), abseiling (rappelling), archery, confidence course, underground maze, crate-stacking, and obstacle courses. It was very quiet here last evening with J gone, and G was gone as well. He had a dinner, and didn't get home til late. I guess they didn't sit down to eat until 8:30, and eating seems to be very drawn out here.
While I was writing this, the Headmistress from W and N's school phoned. I will be stopping in @ school on Mon or Tues morning to see what they have in their uniform inventory. Hopefully there'll be something. As far as supplies--they supply everything!! If you have a favorite pencil, you can bring it, but everything is supplied. Kids are going to what US would call public school (ie-paid for by taxes, even though it is a Church of England school--but that's another post).
Finally some news, and good news.
Good Morning (8:50AM Here) Heller Family
ReplyDeleteSO GLAD to hear the school news for Nolan - Finally What a relief that must be!!
Jaymeson must be very excited about his school adventure - seems a little scary being new school new country new classmates But J is a strong person and will fit in just fine Must be very proud of the boys fitting into the new surroundings very well What an exciting tale this will be
Thats all for now -- Keep the BLOGS coming - very interesting to follow along your journey!!
LOVE TO ALL
J-K in the USA
Just read your blog. What an exciting trip, don't blame J for wanting to go back.
ReplyDeleteI have never been there and I want to go back for a week. You and your family are the epitome of making the best of whatever happens. I thought the picture with the tudor? or whatever was a "beefeater". What is a beefeater? I look forward to reading more of your adventures. P.S. I am happy for you that all the boys found a school. Very Good! Love to all of you
Jim