We had a very enjoyable evening--it was a very American bbq--not by intent-just how it turned out. Chicken on the grill. Wanted to make the sauce we usually make with it that uses French dressing as the base; however, no French dressing to be found. I've learned to look up ingredients on the computer beforehand, and I'm getting better at converting cups to grams, ounces and pounds to grams, etc, etc. Fahrenheit to Celsius.... Wanted to make a salad I make, but no Karo syrup here. Although, now I did receive some from the American couple returning to the US. Also some Hershey's syrup and canned pumpkin. Apparently all hot commodities. They also do not have ground mustard here (the dried kind). I've put an order in for whichever American is due back here first, to bring me some. G's coming home at least in December, so should get some then, if not sooner! I tried to make my Grandma's 7-layer salad. I made a salad, but it wasn't the same as Grandma's, but everyone loved it just the same, so I guess it was OK. The dressing was different, and the bacon here is different, so that made it different as well. We had other classic American goodies too. We have a stereo system that plays music in the kitchen/living room combo, the lounge (sitting room), den and our bedroom. G finally set it up so we could listen to cd's also. I had John Cougar Mellencamp playing--never really realized how American his music was, or how many references to US he has. Obviously, he's rather outspoken on his lean to the left. You won't hear JCM played over here. Like I said, it was a very American evening, although not by intent.
Sunday evening, we decided to try out our 1 babysitter. She looked even younger when she arrived, although she's 21. I guess it went ok. She managed to play some games with the kids, like piggie in the middle--our monkey in the middle.
On Monday, we went to W and N's school to get some uniforms for them. They are pretty reasonably priced--~9pounds for the shirt, and you can get the pants anywhere. Most schools wear a charcoal grey on the bottom. I got 2 pair of grey pants for N for 6 pounds, and W too at the local grocery store. Store has maybe 20 aisles of "other stuff". Household, books, clothing, clocks... (Exchange rate is roughly $1.60 to 1 pound.)
| J on his day of orientation to Yr 7 at King's |
J had a day of orientation on Tuesday. He reports they have very tight security. All the buildings have a code you have to punch in to enter, and the code changes half way thru the day, and he is not allowed to tell his parents the code. If a kid is caught in the halls with a parent that hasn't been checked in, they receive detention. Parents are to enter thru the main entrance, and get checked in properly. I suppose its harder to manage security when there are multiple buildings. If they're late for class, detention. But....I don't need to pack a snack for him, as they get up to 9 digestives (cookies) at break time, and watered down lemonade. He was quite happy about this, as I always stress a healthy snack--fruit, healthy granola bar, cheese, yogurt.... Cookies!! Definitely more of a "big kid" school than his former, in that he changes buildings, although the buildings are pretty close together. Also, there are A weeks and B weeks, and his classes switch dependent on the week. Rather different than staying in the same classroom in the same school building all day. Classes may prove to be more intense and rigorous as well. I think it's his chemistry and biology that are both taught by Dr's in their area.
| J, W, N on their first day of school in the UK |
Things went ok for all the kids. Pick up was kinda crazy. Picked up W/N, then proceeded to J's school. It was crazy!!! Traffic backed up for ~ 2 miles, trying to get into the school. None of the kids drive to school, very unlike the US. Kids can't get their license until 17 here. No wonder all of J's classmates have phones. We're holding out as long as we can, but we'll probably have to cave soon. I am hoping the crazy congestion at his school stops once school is in full swing, including extra-curriculars. Dropping off in the am was not a problem, as I drop J off ~45 to 1hr before school, so I can be back in time to drop the other 2 off. (He goes into the library.) That far before school, there was no back up of people.
By special request, here are pics. Of J on the day of his orientation, and of all 3 this morning, the first day of school. (I told you J's blazer was U-G-L-Y!!!!) I didn't realize, but W/N were supposed to be wearing their jumpers. They were the only 2 with white shirts on, without the crest on it, not even dress shirts, and no tie. They'll be wearing their jumpers tomorrow. I thought it'd be warm enough that they wouldn't need them, but it is pretty cool here in the am, like 50s/14C. Not to mention, it's probably the real dress code.
| Taken from our side/rear garden. Although it rains plenty, we do not see a lot of rainbows. |
As you know, we're very near Ireland, where the leprechauns live. Also at the end of the rainbow. Check out the rainbow pic I took from our rear garden. Speaking of Ireland, G will be going to Dublin for the day tomorrow. For work, not for fun. W asked if he was flying there. Don't know how good W is with geography, he's kinda young. Apparently he needs a little refresher on the British Isles. Or even a lesson on it. Perhaps first grade didn't cover that! I told him G wasn't going to swim there.
Wishing everyone a great back to school. Hope it's going smoothly wherever you are, even if you're not going back to school! Will write more soon.......
5 September 2012 (8:45 PM)
ReplyDeleteHello Heller Family
Enjoyed the pictures of the boys on the first day of school -- How Handsome they are!!
Does Weston and Nolan have any problem(s) understanding their classmates because of the British accent? Does W & N have a foreign language in the primary grades? Jaymeson? Does W&N have like a mentor for them in their school - more or less to show them the way of things?
At J's school - do they use computers more than what was used at St Gabes? I am thinking in their classroom setting. I would be a total wreck if I were in the Boys place - But what a wonderful experience this is!! What subjects are W-N taking - similar to what is taught in the States? What about J's subjects?
For the sound of it - Lori - you have have MASTERED the driving challenge - Good for You - I knew you could do it!! Now you just have to remember the speed limits!! (Just kidding) Can any of the boys carpool with other students-which would be handy.
Keep the BLOG coming - It is sooo very very interesting to follow along
LOVE tTO ALL
J-K in the USA
Hello J-K in the USA-
DeleteI don't believe the kids have problems understanding the Brits--at least they don't report any. I think each one was assigned a "buddy" to help them out. J did tell me that they were having him say "tomato", and "yogurt", and a few other words, because we say them differently. I am not sure of a foreign language for W/N-if anything, it'd be French. J is currently taking German (Guten tag!), and will also take French and Spanish this school year also. I'm not sure if they are all learned simultaneously, or if he has one term of each language (the school year has 3 terms). He is also learning Latin, which he sees absolutely no use for!
I bought 2 jumpers each for W and N. The first day, they didn't wear them. The 2nd day of school, W managed to lose his! Their name was clearly on it! The primary curriculum is very similar to the US. J, however, has a lot of subjects--DT (Design Technology--they're currently doing carpentry), ICT (computers), German, Latin, English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, Religious Studies, Art, Music, PSE (don't ask me what it is, I don't know, but he only has it once a fortnight), PE, Games (which is like PE, but he wears a different uniform than the PE uniform), and Enrichment (wonder what they do in there?). PE, Games, Enrichment, Art, and Music they only do once a week. He is definitely kept busy. It is quite a rigorous school, and I see him putting more time into his homework. Even he made mention. He said, "At home, I would've just did this real quick." This on something he put at least an hour, if not more, into. So he recognizes it himself. The bar has been raised. Anyway, gotta run-the wash is done. Will blog again when I've got something.
Love- Lori
10 September 2012 (10:42PM)
DeleteHi Heller Family
Just got home from work - checking the BLOGS - Had e-mail from J and he said that school was more difficult Will be a challange for him - but know he will do just fine Just a new format for doing the homework and will all fall into place for him Does W-N have much homework for their grade? How large are the grades for W-N
Does J think it is funny that they have him say different words - because of the US accent - I am sure he is getting on well with the Brits - a little humor there
Will write again later
Love to ALL
J-K in the USA
Hey Heller's,
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear from you again. Sounds like you have everything pretty much under control, including your driving, Good Job!!
love reading your blog w/ my morning coffee.
Thanks,
Sharon
Thanks for commenting, Sharon. Things are kinda falling into place, now that the kids are back in school. (Ooh--it just started to rain!!! Surprise!) I was really looking forward to getting caught up on some projects while we were over here. I figured we wouldn't be socializing too much, as we don't know many people. So now that the kids are gone, I can get started. We are travelling more, and trying to take advantage of our surroundings, but hopefully I'll get ahead on the projects. There's nothing like checking things off your list (or, as they say over here, ticking things off. They don't put a check in the box, they put a tick in the box.) Anyway, thanks for reading. I'll try to stay on top of the blog!!!
ReplyDeleteLove to you-
Lori
So did G take the ferry to Dublin? I was checking it out the other day so I know when we come to visit. I'd like to sneak over at least once in the next few years to see where my family came from. The ferry from Liverpool seems to be reasonable, but maybe flying would be better. Can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDeleteLove & Miss You!
Matt