I have not posted in nearly a week. It's not that I haven't been doing anything--au contraire-I've been most busy.
We desperately need to find a babysitter(s), not only for G and I's sanity, but also for various functions that we will need to attend. I have been trying to find some to bring in to interview. I have been in touch with 4--one we actually interviewed last evening, and seems decent. She is going to school, and has a boyfriend, and works, so she does not have a whole lot of availability, so we are looking at some others. My goal is to have a pool of perhaps 5 to pick from, so we are never left up a creek without a paddle. So, I guess we're 20% of the way there-hopefully at least one of the others works out, and we'll keep looking......
Of course, I have also been out driving. Seems to be going ok. Had another lesson this evening. Feeling much more at ease with the situation.
On Monday (yesterday), I called the Authority (again!) regarding N's lack of school. They were "having an unusual amount of call volume," so I kept trying, to no avail. I called today (Tuesday)---they know nothing, and advised I check in again next week. School starts 2 weeks from tomorrow-the boy needs supplies, and uniforms, people!!
G had his work picnic at the Chester Zoo-probably 5 minutes from our house-this past weekend. There were no kangaroos or koalas. They did have these bush dogs (that's what they are called). We were observing them, when a zookeeper came with a bucket of white rats (dead), that she threw over the fence one by one. You should have seen these creatures run!! There were probably 10-15 of these in the exhibit, and they would run off with the "treat", and gobble it up. When there were no more new treats being thrown over the fence, they would play tug-of-war with a rat. There'd be 4-5 of these bush dogs, each with a jaw on the rat, and they would all pull....... The zoo also had the dinosaur exhibit going on-same one that's been at the Milwaukee Zoo, and is currently at the Milwaukee Zoo.
We also were able to meet with G's co-workers-many of them new to me, as well as G I suppose. There were probably 5-6 from our trip in February, that I knew, as we'd spent 2 evenings with them in Feb. Also, met up with the the American fellow who is returning to the US, and G is taking his position. He and his wife had a baby the day we left for the UK, so she's ~4 weeks old now. They went to London this week to apply for the baby's passport, and they will be returning to the States in about 2 1/2 weeks. (I am eagerly anticipating receiving their condensing dryer, as well as some other electronics.) Also met with another fellow and his family, also from the States, who will be in the UK for another year before they return. (They originally signed on for 3 years, but extended it another year.) It was nice to see some familiar people, besides the neighbors.
I've also been working on the bugs of this new blog. Please email me if you are still unable to comment. I need you all to comment, and let me know what's going on State-side.
Finally, I've been working on one other thing. This coming Monday 27 August, is a bank holiday here. We wanted to take advantage of it, and do something with the kids--so that's what I've been trying to plan. I won't reveal now what we're doing--you can all place your bets, and I'll share with you after the weekend.
Stay tuned, and don't forget to comment!
Love to everyone in the US!!
Good luck finding some sitters I can imagine that could be a lil scary to do in a diff country and not knowing anyone! And they sure do cut it down to the wire with the schools. Have fun with ur family day looking forward to your adventure! :) working on packing for camping hopefully we'll get to talk to you while we are up there. Gonna miss you guys! Mexican won't be the same but hopefully dave and michelle fritz will learn to play! Talk to you soon hopefully! Luv Connie
ReplyDeleteDo you realize that it's the 25th annual??? Makes me sad to think we're missing the landmark marking a quarter of a century!! There's always skype.
DeleteAnd yes easy peasy to add comment! Lol
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting me know!! I believe only you and Matt have commented thus far, and I received inquiry as to how to do..... Good to know there were no problems. Have fun camping.
DeleteBarbs guess is camping in the backyard dave says coming 2 see usi say taking a trip to london
ReplyDeleteYou win, Connie!! Although it would've been fun to come and see everyone. At least we were able to skype.
DeleteSaw the pics on fb.....Wow!! Looks like fun. Hope it made the diary! Let us see more pics...
this is a test, lori, to see if this works.
ReplyDeleteYou get an A+ on the test. Go directly to the Head of the Class. Looks like you can comment without difficulty. Looking forward to receiving the comments...
DeleteHello Heller Family
ReplyDeleteHave been trying to sign in - but have not been very successful
Will keep on --
Success.....
DeleteHi to all!
ReplyDeleteJust got the call from Corey's pedi GI guy that he's highly lactose intolerant!!! I'm shocked -- the boys have ice cream just about every single evening, and I go through a gallon of milk per day. I'm not really sure how he's going to cope with this. Everyone is getting ready for school - one more week of vacation left. We've got to get supplies together and finish up summer homework. Hopefully, everyone's uniforms from last spring still fit.
We were on vacation last week. We did day trips all week. We went to Hampton Beach, toured Patriot Place, went through Bass Pro Shops, Plaster Fun Time, York's Animal Kingdom, and spent the day yesterday at the pool. I think the boys are going to be happy just relaxing at home this week.
Hope all is well on your side of the Atlantic!
The Coye Family
Good thing about it is that there are a lot of lactose-free products on the market--or the tabs. Just the price factor then. Lots of label-reading ahead, hey? I would be in serious trouble if I was lactose intolerant. I'm having a hard enough time over here. Milk only comes in 1/2 gallons, which I guess isn't a problem, as we only have one refrigerator. We're going to the grocery a few times a week. They sell ice cream in 2L tubs, or smaller--no big buckets. Probably because most people have European-sized refrigerator--the size of a large dorm refrig. Luckily we have a large refrig/freezer. We are trying to get ready for school too--those of those who have a school to go to--NOT N!!!! I can not believe the hold up. Hoping it all still works out for the best.
DeleteMuch success to the boys as they start the new school year!!
Hello Heller Family
ReplyDeleteWaiting to hear all about your Holiday It must have been exhausting - have not hear about it as yet (Only kidding) Are things all lined up for the start of school next week J must be beside himself - going to a totally different style of schooling
Be sure to send photos of the boys in their uniforms How is the placement for Nolan - still sixes and sevens (wasn't that clever of me) Suppose the tele is all over the Prince Harry story The States covered it for about 2 days and then dropped off
I am working on setting up an account!
ReplyDeleteYou shouldn't have to set up an account, you should be able to reply as anonymous--keep trying!!
DeleteActually, you were able to comment above, so it must work!
The holiday was exhausting, but getting back in the groove again. J is at an adventure outing with his school at the moment. He was quite excited, but worried he wouldn't be able to understand people due to the accent. Keep in mind, he hears the accent most of the time...on TV, neighbors, radio..... I think he'll be fine. Kids adapt so much easier than us adults. Still no school for N, not for the lack of trying, I tell you. Picked up J's blazer from alterations today. It is still quite ugly, but it'll fit.
ReplyDelete