Monday, 10 September 2012

Colleagues

     One of G's colleagues invited our family to his 15th anniversary dinner, which was Sunday noon.  They are Indian, so the kids encountered some new styles of dressing, and different foods.  They had a few different types of curry.  They also met a couple where the wife was from Spain, and the husband was from Columbia.  Chester is pretty homogeneous, in regards to race and appearance, so it was good to expose them to something different.  Even in Hubertus, there was some diversity, but not a lot.  I don't think there is much diversity in W/N's school; J's has a smattering.  It's difficult to expose the kids to diversity, if we live in an area that's pretty homogeneous.  The UK has A LOT of Indian restaurants, and I believe they even serve curry on the school lunch menu.  There are not an abundance of Indian people, I think the UK just really enjoys their Indian food.  The saying is that you can get better/more authentic Indian food in the UK than in India.  I also heard it was the British national food, however, I am not sure if that is true.
     As I've blogged previously, G's predecessor returned to the US this past weekend.  They haven't lived in the US in awhile, as they lived in the UK for 4 years, and prior to that, they were in China for a number of years.  When an ex-pat returns to the US, they need to rid themselves of UK electronics, as they won't work in the US without converters.  There are usually postings, so others can purchase their items.  I am very happy to report, that I now have a condensing dryer!!!  There are many settings on it, including iron dry, cupboard dry, very dry, and extra dry.  We also gained a super-duper shredder (beats our 20# one we had that kept overheating), and some Chinese electric lamps.  And, I now have an alarm clock.  And we have lots of power strips and transformers.  It's the little things in life, right?
     G will be going to Sweden on Wed, for an overnight trip.  Lands in Stockholm.  Won't really be able to see the country, as he will be working.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I finally made it! love to hear all of these wonderful blogs and the exciting pictures of where you have been. It is so GREAT! It was all worth the effort, now let the perks begin. Tried this several times and never got the send part right ,so now I can comment more often. Just need to watch my spelling as the print is small,have to play some more to get a bigger page. Love the bright yellow sub marine. Mom

    ReplyDelete